Your little entomologists will have a blast learning about insects/bugs with the activities that are packed into these theme lesson plans. They will be retrieving interesting information about the most common insects from the readers and outside sources and relaying what they have learned. They will also be sorting, counting, adding, subtracting, writing, playing literacy games and completing crafts that are all related to bugs/insects.
Total of Six Emergent Readers That Address Key Learning Concepts
In each theme unit, emergent readers are used to teach key learning concepts to meet your curriculum outcomes. In this theme unit there are six emergent all related to bugs/insects.
1. Life cycle of a butterfly
2. Exploring other insects and their life cycles
1. Identifying characteristic of insects
2. Sorting pictures
1. Review of rhyme
2. Review of color words
Emergent Reader - Bug Senses
Another informational content reader
This reader introduces how the different insects use their senses.
Suggested Focus Concepts
1. Retrieving information
2. Relaying information
Emergent Reader - Counting Bugs
Concept reader on counting, number and word recognition.
Students count the bugs and print the numbers on the dotted lines then cut and paste the matching number word.
Suggested Focus Concepts
1. Review of one-to-one number correspondence
2. Review of number formation and number words
In this lesson plans theme unit you will also find 42 sorting cards. These can be placed in the Science or Math centers for your little entomologists to sort.They will be sorting "Insects or Not Insects" according to the characteristics they studied.
The Bugs/Insects lesson plans theme pack includes a number of literacy games. The following is a quick list of all the games, materials and center activities included within the pack.
- Alphabet oredering caterpillar activity
- Printing initial letters with matching pictures
- Word family activites
- 45 CVC picture cards
Printing Initial Letters
|45 CVC Picture Cards||
- I can tell if a group has greater than, less than or an equal amount. K.CC.B.6.
- I can compare two printed numerals between 1-10. K.CC.B.7
- I can write numbers 0-20 and show the correct amount of objects for these numbers. K.CC.A.3
- I can count 20 things. K.CC.B.5
- I can add and subtract in different ways. K.0A.A.1
- I can solve addition and subtraction problems up to 10. K.0A.A.2
- I can show sums in different ways. K.0A.A.3
- I can add and subtract up to 10 (using drawings, fingers or manipulatives). K.0A.A.4
- I can name shapes no matter which way they are turned. K.G.A.2
- I know some shapes are 2-D and 3-D. K.G.A.3
Visual Discrimination Activity Integrated With Connect the Dots
The children cut and paste the words in the link below to match the sentences on the connect the dots pictures.
Connect the Dots Numbers Bug Picture